Who we are: International Relief Teams (IRT) alleviates human suffering caused by poverty and disaster around the globe by sending volunteer teams, financial support, relief supplies, and other assistance to where it is needed most. In the last year alone, we have provided support in Latin America, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East, in addition to our local programs in San Diego.
Since our founding over 30 years ago, IRT has delivered more than $574 million in aid to 72 countries worldwide. As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, we are supported by donors throughout the United States and have maintained a 4-star rating with Charity Navigator for 18 consecutive years.
Our number one priority is to identify the most efficient way to deliver aid where it is needed most. To this end, IRT has developed an incredible ability to work in-country with highly effective organizations and leaders on the front lines of humanitarian challenges. As partners, we work together to accomplish mutual goals in alleviating human suffering.
Our programs fall into two general impact areas: 1. International and Domestic Disaster Relief – we provide relief supplies (food, water, hygiene supplies, construction materials, etc.) and medical and/or construction personnel as needed in response to natural and man-made disasters.
2. Building Healthy Communities – this includes providing for the nutrition and education needs of abandoned children, providing medicines and vitamins to hospitals and clinics serving the poor, deploying volunteer teams to provide surgeries, eyeglasses, and house construction in vulnerable communities, and providing weekend food to needy local schoolchildren and their families.
International Relief Teams is seeking a creative, entrepreneurial, and experienced Communications Manager to spearhead and implement our external messaging strategy and to elevate IRT’s brand across diverse constituencies. The Communications Manager will manage and drive external communications efforts, including website, social media accounts, donor engagement, fundraising campaigns, and media relations, as well as contribute to general communications needs across the organization. The Communications Manager will be responsible for developing IRT’s brand strategy and ensuring consistency of this strategy across communication channels and content.
The ideal candidate will have strong aesthetic instincts for digital layouts and publishing, a strong understanding of major social media platforms’ tools and a passion for communications strategy, results, and analytics. The Communications Manager will report to the COO and work closely with the CEO.
Craft and implement compelling external communications strategies and messaging to advance the organization’s brand and increase visibility and engagement with key audiences.
Create and implement an organizational social media strategy. Create fresh and impactful content and use metrics to show the efficacy of strategies and the growth of audiences.
Lead and execute the organization’s website strategy and ensure updated, engaging, compelling, and highly visual website content.
Lead the creation of communications collateral including annual reports, donor reports, presentations, video content, blogs, etc.
Collaborate with program colleagues to achieve impactful storytelling with a focus on donor communication.
Work with colleagues to segment messages to diverse audiences.
Create and implement a PR strategy that cultivates partnerships and relationships with media and audiences, locally, nationally, and internationally.
Skills and Requirements:
• Candidates must have 10+ years of relevant experience, including at least 6 years in a management role, and a strong track record of success with developing and executing strategic communications plans. Experience in international nonprofits and/or humanitarian assistance preferred.
• Exceptional storyteller with excellent written and verbal communications skills. Experience writing for fundraising with a donor-centric approach a plus.
• Demonstrable experience designing effective visual/graphic content and layout. Portfolio of examples preferred. Experience with Canva and Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
• Digitally savvy with experience leading a social media marketing strategy.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills; ability to manage multiple work streams and tasks simultaneously.
• A natural collaborator and creative thinker that can bring to life messages, ideas, and programs in new ways that resonate with a variety of external audiences.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Raiser’s Edge, Online Express, WebFlow, and MailChimp a must. Experience with graphics software such as Canva or Adobe Creative Suite and video experience preferred.
• Knowledge/ experience with themes in disaster relief and international development is highly desirable.
• We are a small, lean team, we support each other as needed, beyond our job descriptions. During emergency disaster responses and the annual fundraising gala we are “all hands on deck.”
How to Apply Please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line “Communications Manager.”
This is an Exempt, full-time, on-site role, based in San Diego with occasional travel required. Office hours are 8am to 6 pm and the office is closed every other Friday.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the US. Proof of COVID-19 vaccinations required. International Relief Teams is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity in all decisions related to employment, promotion, wages, benefits, and all other privileges, terms, and conditions of employment.