Responsible for advancing the brand and positively positioning the United Way of San Diego County as a leader and trusted partner in our community. The position manages the marketing function including communications, digital marketing and services, media relations, advertising, public relations, events, and other activities that connects the United Way with all stakeholders. The Director of Marketing and Communications works closely with the VP of New Business Development to plan and execute strategic marketing and communications initiatives that build the United Way brand, strengthen relationships with key constituencies, and drive resource generation.
· Develop and maintain comprehensive annual and multi-year marketing and communications strategy that supports achievement of the UWSD mission and message, maintains the integrity of the United Way brand image, and leverages digital channels and target audiences, including:
· Social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, and YouTube)
· Email strategy
· Conceptualize and execute a creative, comprehensive, and multi-faceted donor and stakeholder plan that supports the organization’s strategies and objectives, builds relationships with key audiences, and works to position UWSD as the leader in community impact and diverse ways of giving. Responsible for setting and achieving key performance indicators for plans.
· Understand, integrate, and implement consumer segmentation strategies across all marketing and communications plans.
· Collaborate with VP of New Business Development to establish UWSD as a thought leader in the organization’s areas of work across the education and learning pathways, family stability, and diverse ways of giving. Curate the thought leadership content calendar, engage internal subject matter experts to develop content, determine channels of distribution, and coordinate publication plans.
· Manage public relations activities, including vendor relationship, strategy, and work plan.
· Responsible for developing and maintaining brand awareness and management plan. Manage the consistent brand-aligned presentation of UWSD, both internally and externally.
· Ensure key messaging is aligned and leveraged across all marketing and communications efforts and tools.
· Drive traffic to UWSD website by developing creative, compelling content and leveraging its integration with digital platforms (social media, email) and public relations plans. Manage website and online fundraising initiatives.
· Lead with an innovative mindset, keep up with marketing trends, and assess opportunities that will expand UWSD’s brand awareness among a variety of stakeholders.
· In collaboration with the Development department, create sponsorship opportunities and materials to support events and co-marketing partnerships.
· Oversee the development of all marketing assets, such as print materials and videos, to ensure consistent message delivery and brand presentation.
· Support development initiatives, including annual workforce and individual campaign messaging and assets, as well as sponsorship materials.
· Ensure that UWSD’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is illustrated and reinforced in, and across all, messaging.
· Work with internal stakeholders to ensure integration of marketing and communications strategies across all departments.
· Train internal staff on organizational messaging.
· Collaborate with community impact and development departments to plan, communicate, and execute external events.
· Manage the marketing department budget.
· Collaborate with the VP of New Business Development to staff the volunteer Marketing Committee in support of brand development and marketing/communications planning.
· Effective and engaging communication
· Cross-functional capability and collaboration
· General marketing acumen
· Product management
· Creating brand experience for everyone
· Bachelors in marketing / communications and/or five to seven years’ experience in a senior marketing role
· Experience crafting and implementing marketing and communications strategy
· Experience with digital marketing strategy and platforms
· Ability to conceptualize and develop strategies
· Experience assessing and using market research
· Excellent copywriting skills in conjunction with the overall communications plan; effective writing and editing skills for all materials produced
· Demonstrated ability in creative writing and storytelling
· Demonstrated ability in planning, goal setting, and achieving set goals
· Demonstrated experience with fiscal management
· Demonstrated ability to track multiple projects and meet deadlines
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of incumbents.
Typical schedule is 37.5 hours per week, Monday through Friday. However, flexibility is required due to nature of business. Schedule may be changed as needed, to include evenings, weekends and holidays.
Salary Range: $61,500 to $75,000